June was my back-to-reality month after all the happy cray that went down during April and May. For most people, it signaled that start of another school year. For me, it felt more like August, when all the midterms are supposed to be. Suddenly, my workload tripled and it seemed as if the previous months existed so I could prepare myself accordingly. Ugh. Just a few weeks/months before I can relax with that secret project I keep on mentioning, but in the meantime… HUSTLE!
At least I’m not 3 months late with my IG Photo Dumps anymore, though I’m well-aware that I still have 2 Kyoto posts and an MOFW Japan pending. Right now, I’m thinking if I should just merge it with my upcoming MOFW Hong Kong since I tend to buy Japanese brands there anyway. Decisions, decisions!
Anyhow, here’s a collection of photos I took back in June. Wow, I was really up and about. Little by little, as I post more IG Photo Dumps, you’ll get to see how much of a hermit I’ve become since then!
1) Late beach outing with my friends. A week later this was taken, rainy season finally arrived in the country, making it almost impossible to enjoy weekends with zero chance of rain.
2) Posted this on my Twitter, but it’s related to the beach photo. That out-of-town trip was the last trip our 7-year-old group of friends was going to have in a while. Kiks is now taking his masters in an art school in San Francisco, and he won’t be back until 2015! Woot, good luck to him!
3) New (and affordable) accessories from Just G. I haven’t been able to visit them last summer so I was surprised to see so many new designs from them!
4) What’s an IG Photo Dump without food porn? This is my favorite seafood salad from UCC. Yes, it has a ton of fried stuff in it. Makes the whole thing taste really good.
5) Selca from the mirror in Just G Megamall. Wearings INGNI top, EMODA pants, bag and necklace, and Gold Dot wedges on a busy errands day.
6) Look who I bumped into on the way out of the mall!
7) Roasted bone marrow from Village Tavern in High Street Central.
8) Another selfie. For some reason, I have so many selfies from last June and almost zero for July-August. Stress, what are you doing to meee
There is always time for annoying selfies.
9) Man, was I vain last June or what?
Wearing a cute cut-out Tracyeinny top!
10) ViVi’s popular July issue which came with a free snidel shirt. I’ve been seeing the shirt so often in Japanese street snaps that it has also become one of my favorite everyday shirts.
11) I don’t know why I look so different here, but it was a good bangs day. This was also the last proper photo of my accidental ombre which I got so tired of eventually.
Wearing an Apartment 8 halter top!
12) I visit Marufuku in Ortigas every month, it seems.
13) Trissey on Independence Day!
14) Our first meeting with the CANMAKE Philippines team at WIld Flour in Podium. L-R: Crissey, Arbee, me, Eri, Sachie and Bea.
15) Went to Caffe Bene to work and was easily tempted to get a mango crunch cake. #skinnyfatproblems
16) Darker hair color fresh from the salon. It stayed this way for about 1 1/2 weeks until it gradually faded to the lighter ash brown I’ve been sporting recently.
This is actually a mix of different levels of ash brown, since I was really set on killing the accidental ombre caused by my bleached ends. The dye used for the bleached parts were a bit darker than the one used for my roots, so it’s hard to say what exact color this is!
Visit my hairstylist Lena at Park Jun’s in Glorietta if you’re interested in this color, but I’m not sure if it’s going to be as ashy if you’ve never had your hair bleached before. Try it anyway!
17) With David and Lissa at the Aeropostale Aero Jam!
18) Dropped by Cupcakes by Sonja’s since I was in Glorietta. Shang branch, please open soon!
19) Intentionally changed the way I did my make-up and went for a simple eyes-bold lips combo for once.
20) Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen on a rainy day.
21) Thanks @houseofjelly on IG for contributing to my already-junk-filled lifestyle. Can’t say no to Nutella and green tea Crunch.
22) @polishedinthecity on IG gave me the prettiest colors! OPI Every Month is Oktoberfest and My Vampire is Buff, ZOYA Toni, Yara and Skylar.
23) Straight hair, don’t care!
24) The placement of the bread in this dish reminds me of bunny ears. This is the truffle pasta I always get in Locale!
25) Fooled around and called this my high fashion alter ego, lol. Actually, I just finished my make-up and decided to camwhore before blowdrying my hair. Check out my pretentious model squint.
26) Back to my normal self! Pink cheeks, pink lipstick and soft curls. :)
Ever wondered how my hair manages to look decent even after all these years of hair dye and curling? You’d think that by now, I’d have the worst quality hair in the entire world, having subjected it to 8 months of bleaching once. My hair hasn’t completely grown out since then, resulting in this accidental ombre, though I cut a few inches off the bleached ends a few months ago for a new look for 2013.
Even then, I can still curl or style my hair almost everyday if I wanted to without immensely damaging it! I know a few hairstylists who are quite surprised at how I am able to keep the quality of my hair okay after all this time. More than my skin, I am actually more proud of my hair condition! So what is my secret behind it?
If there’s such a thing as skin care, surely there must also be such a thing as hair care! Shampoo and conditioner are somewhat like the cleanser and moisturizer for hair, and we use all these everyday to keep our hair and skin clean and soft. But what could be the hair equivalent for all the facial masks, creams emulsion and essences that we use for our face?
Daily supplements for hair!
Thanks to Lucido-L, one of the leading hair styling brands in Japan, we can wake up to softer, smoother hair with their new leave-on hair care products that have finally landed in Manila! I’ve been a user of Lucido-L products since 2 years ago! (If you go back to this post from January 2012, I included 2 Lucido-L products in my hair must-haves!)
Lucido-L aims to restore the original capability of hair to lock-in moisture. The main reason why we get split ends or why our curls fall flat in the first place is the lack of moisture in our hair, and no matter how much moisture you apply to your hair, it will all be in vain if your hair doesn’t have the ability to keep it.
This is my freshly-out-of-the-shower-then-air-dried hair (except for my bangs, in this pic, lol). I apply about 2 small pumps of Lucido-L Hair Make Supplement Repairing Oil for Straight Hair every night, before I go to sleep. It doesn’t take too long to use it, as it’s leave-on. I absolutely love the healthy texture of my hair after applying this! My bleached hair ends don’t feel like they were bleached at all? Those who had their hair bleached before would totally understand this. Somehow after bleaching, it is so hard to bring your hair back to its original pre-bleached quality, but this does the job well. Or at least it feels and looks like it!
Lucido-L Treatment Oil comes in 2 variants - one for permed hair and one for straight hair. I’ve never had my hair permed so I haven’t tried the orange one yet, but the pink one is a godsend!
Repairing Oil <Straight> smoothes and tames frizzes for moisturized hair that allows fingers to run through easily from roots to ends.
Repairing Oil <Perm> maintains soft bouncy curls with lightweight yet moisturizing oil.
It’s rare for me to go out without my signature loose waves, but I know better than to curl my hair without applying any sort of heat protection or styling product, especially with the humid weather that we have in Manila. It’s so difficult to let curls and volume last the whole day, plus you run the risk of permanently damaging your hair with high heat if you don’t use the correct hair care products to take care of it.
Here I am with the Lucido-L Hair Make Supplement Styling Milk Airy variant. I was born with dead-straight hair, and the concept of permanent hair straightening makes me cringe as I’ve always adored big, bouncy hair with lots of volume! Lucky for me, this Airy Styling Milk perfectly addresses my hair problem, which is lack of volume!
Lucido-L Styling Milk comes in 4 variants, two of which can double as heat protectors. It’s amazing how there are so many variants when they all seem so similar, but each one addresses a different hair concern.
Styling Milk <Straight> coats the hair strands for effortless sleek and straight hair. It can also be used for heat protection.
Styling Milk <Airy> coats the hair strands for outstanding volume.
Styling Milk <Wave> coats the hair strands for soft and tangle-free waves.
Styling Milk <Curl> coats the hair strands for round and bouncy curls. It can also be used for heat protection.
I apply Lucido-L Styling Milk <Curl> before curling to protect my hair against heat damage. Plus points that all the Lucido-L products have a sweet, fruity smell and do not contain any preservatives.
The Japanese are known to have perfect hair, and you’ve gotta trust their knack for producing the best, most effective hairstyling products!
Voila! Here is the finished look after curling - round, bouncy curls for a sweet, youthful look!
A close-up of my hair thanks to Lucido-L products. No editing here! I’ve no time! #humblebrag
Want to win 3 bottles of Lucido-L hair products and a GC to Blo Blow Dry bar? They are holding a contest to answer all your hair problems! They will ultimately choose 6 winners that will best represent the 2 treatment oils and 4 styling milks!
To join/qualify, you just have to have your own blog and live in the Philippines! And no, I’m not going to require you to like/follow all my social networking sites. :D
Here are the easy steps to achieve the hair you’ve always wanted:
Step 1: Like Lucido-L’s Facebook page.
Step 2: Choose 1 Treatment Oil variant AND 1 Styling Milk variant that you think can address your current hair problem. Here’s a rundown of the variants and the hair problems that each one addresses:
Lucido-L Hair Make Supplement Treatment Oil
A) Treatment Oil Straight - Hair Problem: Extra dryness of their hair due to damages caused by rebonding/coloring
B) Treatment Oil Perm - Hair Problem: Extra dryness of their hair due to damages caused by perming/coloring
Lucido-L Hair Make Supplement Styling Milk
a) Styling Milk Straight - Hair Problem: Unmanageable and frizzy hair because of dryness
b) Styling Milk Wave - Hair Problem: Curls fall flat because of dryness and lack of moisture
c) Styling Milk Curl - Hair Problem: Dryness due to hair Ironing/curling
d) Styling Milk Airy - Hair Problem: Lack of volume from the hair
Step 3: Blog about your hair concerns in your Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogspot, etc., with any title containing “Lucido-L” in it.
(Don’t forget to specify which treatment and oil and styling milk you want! It doesn’t have to be long. You can just write about it in one simple paragraph. You can start with something like “My hair has always been extremely dry due to ironing and curling, but I’ve read about Lucido-L Styling Milk Curl and it looks so promising! I wish I could get one for myself!” For pictures, feel free to grab the ones in this post but PLEASE credit me and my blog properly with a link back!)
Step 4: Come back to this post and comment with your full name, email and exact link to your blog entry! Lucido-L will be announcing the winners on their Facebook page!
Deadline for submission of entries is June 21, 2013 11:59 p.m. Can’t wait for you guys to try it out! Announcement of winners will be within the week after the deadline via direct email as well as public Facebook announcement.
(THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED)
Lucido-L is exclusively available at Watsons. Both treatment oil and styling milk retail at Php 295 each.
1) Coffee and work date with my good friend Tracy at the Caffe Bene in Eastwood. We both cannot work at our own homes because we end up being super unproductive, so we schedule dates at our favorite coffee places to motivate each other to not slack off!
2) As I uploaded these pictures for this post, I realized that I took a lot of these mirror shots last month! Some of the outfits might seem familiar from Lookbook.
3) You’ll see this stripey H&M top twice in this post.
4) What I wore to my cousin’s garden wedding at Tagaytay. Found this long dress on sale at Mango. Borrowed the clutch from my mom who I went shopping with at Miss Selfridge last Christmas.
5) One of the most effective ways to keep yourself in check is to wirte in a gratitude journal. Got this particular one at kikki.K in Singapore last year. Even if I forget to write here sometimes, I make sure that I dedicate a few minutes every day to reflect on the things I should be grateful for on my own.
6) Sukiyaki night with le boyfriend! We love to eat out, and we both love to take photos of our food. Follow him on IG: @rgabunada
7) Wearing jeans! *gasp*
8) Sashimi platter! NOM
9) One of my MOFW Fukuoka posts. Black and white is such a huge trend right now, it seems. I feel like I’m having an extended Christmas because most of my closet has always been filled with these two colors and you can see them everywhere in the mall.
10) Obligatory Bayo dressing room post. Ended up getting the pink/cream version of this top for my Bayo outfit post last January. Now that I think about it, I should’ve gotten the mint one too!
11) Outfit for a meeting. EMODA top, Just G jacket.
12) Outfit for dinner with my family at High Street Central. Zara top, dazzlin skirt.
13) RG and I have been officially together for 2 years last January 23rd! He sent me flowers first thing in the morning. How sweet. <3
14) Had our anniversary lunch at Premio The Fort, where I had this amazing olive oil poached salmon. I finished the whole thing. NOM
15) Finally got an Instax Mini too, thanks to him. He couldn’t find plain border film so he ended up buying whatever was available - this interesting rainbow gradient film that apparently so many people on IG like! I’d still prefer plain ones though. :D
16) Hiroshima Oyster set at Yabu! Not as big as the real oysters in Hiroshima (which I was fortunate enough to try last December), but still super good! They stuffed a lot of small oysters inside. NOM
17) Dyed my hair lighter last month.
Though as of this writing, my hair is about 3 inches shorter. Had to let go of all the damaged parts after so long. I had to curl my hair every time I wanted to make it look decent. So tedious! To think my hair color is high maintenance enough.
Currently looking for a new Japanese or Korean salon to do my next hair color! I’ve been going to the same one for the past 5 years that I think its time to give other salons a chance.
18) Lastly, this outfit! Can’t wear red for a few weeks/months now because of some Chinese traditions I have to follow, so we’ll finally see less of this color for now…
Sorry for the Instawillgoplaces delay! Anyhow, feast your eyes on plentiful food porn, travel photos and a couple of annoying photos of myself, teehee.
1) Really really really good Mac and Cheese and Truffle Pizza at one of my new favorite places to eat/hang out, Locale Gastrobar in Pasig. NOM.
2) Camwhoring in the dressing room at the Apartment 8 launch with Lissa, Camille, Patricia, Vern and Verniece.
3) Pigged out at Wildflour Café + Bakery with my boyfriend RG after a long day at The Mind Museum. Totally craving for all these right now. Can’t wait to go back!
4) MAC Ruby Woo lipstick and matching red nails! Sweater from Forever 21.
5) After getting a bangs trim and a blowdry at my usual salon. I should do this hairstyle more often…
6) Attended the Ateneo Bonfire as usual, to celebrate the 5th straight championship for the UAAP Basketball team! Boyfriend and I are both proud Ateneans :D
7) The first time I dyed my hair darker after a long time. It’s (Schwarzkopf) Igora Royal 5-65 on light brown, previously bleached hair. 7-65 for the non-bleached parts like roots. Baby steps to making the color even. It was frustrating when the color on my roots and the rest of my hair would fade differently, so my hairstylist decided to use two different colors (from the same family) then. Complex stuff.
8) BIG BANG concert! Definitely one of the highlights of 2012. <3 I made sure to schedule my flight to Hong Kong the next day and not on the day of the concert!
Went with my Juju, Calel and his girlfriend Farrah who is a huuuge K-pop fan. We both screamed our lungs out during the concert like crazy people, lol. Sadly can’t go to the DFKC but I’m still crossing my fingers for a solo SNSD concert or a possible SM Town Manila. :(
9) As soon as my friend Jee and I arrived in Hong Kong, we splurged on giant strawberries at the supermarket. Yum!
10) Hong Kong Disneyland with Jee! She bought the cutest Marie cat ears because she super loves cats, and I got myself a nice limited edition Halloween Minnie headband.
11) Benico x Hello Kitty Petit Macaron blushes in PM03 and PM04 in Sasa for about HKD99 each. Still using these blushes now, especially the purple/pink one.
12) Stocked up on some of my favorite lashes! Sasa, just come to Manila already! T_T
13) Had dinner with the family at UCC as soon as I came back to Manila! Absolutely in love with their seafood salad. Pricey but so good.
14) And yet another dinner with the family. This time at Italianni’s in Eastwood Mall. We all clearly missed each other too much. That, or we all have bottomless pits as stomachs.
15) Before I knew it, I was out of the country again! Here’s a pretty view of Jakarta.
16) Borobudur Temple!
17) Prambanan Temple!
18) The most adorable Alice in Wonderland stickers I found at a random stall in a mall in Jakarta. Alice and I have the same hair! :D
19) Japanese burger with truffle cream sauce at UMAMI in The Grove. My siblings and I also love going to this place for coffee and dessert! Try their sea salt caramel coffee. <3
20) The yummiest comfort food at Borough in The Podium with my family. Brooklyn Omelette, I love you forever.
21) Homemade paella made by my talented brother Calel!
22) Bangs! With Camille at the Apartment 8 Holiday Collection shoot.
23) My super sweet boyfriend surprised me with flowers the night before my birthday! He also baked a layered chocolate cookie dough and oreo cake which we both ate at midnight. He worked on it for 5 straight hours! Intense.
The perks of having a boyfriend who loves to cook and bake. I fail at everything related to the kitchen, lol.
24) I didn’t post this on Instagram but I just found this too cute not to share! I was taking my usual outfit photos in front of the mirror when he decided to photobomb me. :D
Pink and princess-y look while I still can. Dress is something I got in Korea a long time ago. Maybe I should schedule a trip to Seoul again this year…
25) He treated me to Wafu in Greenhills for my birthday lunch. So. Freaking. Good. I can eat Japanese food everyday.
26) Then we spent most of the night with the rest of my family at Mom and Tina’s. First time to treat all of them for my birthday instead of the usual. For the past 24 years it has always been my parents paying for everything but I wanted to give back by treating them out for dinner for once. Made me feel like an adult! :D
27) My dad surprised me with cake (which I ended up paying for also, lol) with a color scheme and design that matched the color of my top and the curls on my hair! 8D
28) Light make-up and shiny gold accents.
'Til next time! I'll probably do a separate entry for my December Instagram photos. Follow me @tgosingtian for live updates!
Got rid of my strawberry blonde hair. Bleaching my hair the first time a few months ago was worth it, after seeing the results today. My hairstylist gave me a gray dye swatch earlier, and I wanted to get rid of the blonde so passionately that I didn’t even bother asking him about specifics. “I just want ash.”, and ash I really got.
What do you think?
There’s always something about dyeing hair that makes me feel like a brand new person again.
Before anything else, I apologize for all the mirror shots!
Last photo I took of myself before I went blonde.
Finally gave in to bleaching my hair after years of contemplation. I’m sure, at one point in time, if you’ve seen me in person or have spent a lot of time with me outside the Internet, we’ve already had some sort of “Gosh, your hair is so light!” + “Oh yeah? Thanks, but it’s not light enough for me!” conversation.
I have a collection of blonde wigs in different lengths to temporarily satisfy my frustrations, but nothing beats having actual blonde hair!
I was luckily born with naturally straight, fine, thick-ish Asian-black hair (My mom has fine, straight hair while my dad has the typical thick, straight Chinese hair). I managed to put up with it until highschool, but I totes had a dyeing spree once I reached college. I gradually lightened my hair through the years without bleaching, mostly because I was so afraid of the damage bleaching entailed. I’ve always had a fascination with light hair ever since I could remember, really. My chronic bitch face paired with my natural black hair never meshed well together (had that “snob appeal” formula down pat), and I found it way more interesting to experiment with make-up and different hairstyles with lighter hair.
Throughout college I almost never took care of my then-super-long hair properly - I would only use random brands to wash and condition my hair, and I would curl and style it without heat-protecting products. This went on until early this year… until I decided to cut 5 inches off my hair all at once. The ends of my hair looked so damaged that I couldn’t go out without having to curl them (thus, damaging my hair even more) or putting my hair up in a bun to hide the ends.
I guess hair care was something I took for granted, because when I still had virgin hair, I never had to comb or condition so often because my hair was so naturally healthy and dead-straight. Sadly, it took a toll on my hair in the long run. :(
After cutting my hair last May, I became keen on starting anew. I took care of my hair obsessively by using the right products and having regular hair treatments. Even if my hair dye was relatively lighter than my college color, my hair has never been healthier in years.
Perfect time to go blonde, I thought. And so I finally went for it!
Can’t believe I subjected my hair to this purple gunk you see right here. :) Funny that the bleach didn’t sting my scalp at all! And to think I was deathly afraid moments before they applied it to my hair. They were saying that it was good that I had years of dye experience before subjecting myself to bleach because during the whole process, I didn’t seem too surprised with the smell and the sensation of it all.
What a sight! Five people were working on my hair simultaneously to get an even color. They advised against bleaching your own hair, because they said it would be immensely risky (harsh chemicals and all) and some parts of your hair might end up lighter than the others depending on the time of application. But then again, sometimes that’s just what some people exactly want.
After washing the bleach off, I ended up with this:
Even if I know a lot of people settle for this kind of blonde, I found it so awkward on me. Nice color for Halloween though. I think I could go as Sailor Moon with this yellow.
BRB, off to find a sailor outfit.
And so they proceeded with applying tone-on-tone coloration to kill the intense yellow. I didn’t want to subject my hair to so many things at once so I’ll probably have to go to the salon again for a permanent hair dye once the toner washes off.
My hair looked a little green for a while, but I’m happy I ended up with something a little less intense:
Me with the lovely people at Indigo Salon which you can find along Temple Drive, near White Plains and Corinthian Hills. Jun Sollano (second from left) has been cutting and dyeing my hair since 2009.
Going blonde is such a life changer, especially now that I can’t apply make-up the same way as before. I could seriously go out with no make-up at all with darker hair, but I don’t know if I could still do that now without looking freakishly washed out. It’s fun in other ways though, like blue and gray contact lenses and baby pink make-up suit me better now!
To give you an idea, the box on the left is the toner that they used to make my hair shinier and less yellow. The green bottles are my new purchases to maintain my current color. Pureology is pretty much a miracle for people with dyed hair. <3
Inspirations for going blonde: Japanese gals Tsubasa Masuwaka, Chinatsu Wakatsuki, Nanase Kubo and K-pop idols CL from 2NE1, Nana from After School and GorJessica from SNSD. <3 (Not in collage: Hyuna from 4minute, Sunny and Hyoyeon from SNSD, Gyuri from Kara, Hyosung and Zinger from Secret, Nana Suzuki, Kana Nishino, Koda Kumi)