Sorry for the Instawillgoplaces delay! Anyhow, feast your eyes on plentiful food porn, travel photos and a couple of annoying photos of myself, teehee.
1) Really really really good Mac and Cheese and Truffle Pizza at one of my new favorite places to eat/hang out, Locale Gastrobar in Pasig. NOM.
2) Camwhoring in the dressing room at the Apartment 8 launch with Lissa, Camille, Patricia, Vern and Verniece.
3) Pigged out at Wildflour Café + Bakery with my boyfriend RG after a long day at The Mind Museum. Totally craving for all these right now. Can’t wait to go back!
4) MAC Ruby Woo lipstick and matching red nails! Sweater from Forever 21.
5) After getting a bangs trim and a blowdry at my usual salon. I should do this hairstyle more often…
6) Attended the Ateneo Bonfire as usual, to celebrate the 5th straight championship for the UAAP Basketball team! Boyfriend and I are both proud Ateneans :D
7) The first time I dyed my hair darker after a long time. It’s (Schwarzkopf) Igora Royal 5-65 on light brown, previously bleached hair. 7-65 for the non-bleached parts like roots. Baby steps to making the color even. It was frustrating when the color on my roots and the rest of my hair would fade differently, so my hairstylist decided to use two different colors (from the same family) then. Complex stuff.
8) BIG BANG concert! Definitely one of the highlights of 2012. <3 I made sure to schedule my flight to Hong Kong the next day and not on the day of the concert!
Went with my Juju, Calel and his girlfriend Farrah who is a huuuge K-pop fan. We both screamed our lungs out during the concert like crazy people, lol. Sadly can’t go to the DFKC but I’m still crossing my fingers for a solo SNSD concert or a possible SM Town Manila. :(
9) As soon as my friend Jee and I arrived in Hong Kong, we splurged on giant strawberries at the supermarket. Yum!
10) Hong Kong Disneyland with Jee! She bought the cutest Marie cat ears because she super loves cats, and I got myself a nice limited edition Halloween Minnie headband.
11) Benico x Hello Kitty Petit Macaron blushes in PM03 and PM04 in Sasa for about HKD99 each. Still using these blushes now, especially the purple/pink one.
12) Stocked up on some of my favorite lashes! Sasa, just come to Manila already! T_T
13) Had dinner with the family at UCC as soon as I came back to Manila! Absolutely in love with their seafood salad. Pricey but so good.
14) And yet another dinner with the family. This time at Italianni’s in Eastwood Mall. We all clearly missed each other too much. That, or we all have bottomless pits as stomachs.
15) Before I knew it, I was out of the country again! Here’s a pretty view of Jakarta.
16) Borobudur Temple!
17) Prambanan Temple!
18) The most adorable Alice in Wonderland stickers I found at a random stall in a mall in Jakarta. Alice and I have the same hair! :D
19) Japanese burger with truffle cream sauce at UMAMI in The Grove. My siblings and I also love going to this place for coffee and dessert! Try their sea salt caramel coffee. <3
20) The yummiest comfort food at Borough in The Podium with my family. Brooklyn Omelette, I love you forever.
21) Homemade paella made by my talented brother Calel!
22) Bangs! With Camille at the Apartment 8 Holiday Collection shoot.
23) My super sweet boyfriend surprised me with flowers the night before my birthday! He also baked a layered chocolate cookie dough and oreo cake which we both ate at midnight. He worked on it for 5 straight hours! Intense.
The perks of having a boyfriend who loves to cook and bake. I fail at everything related to the kitchen, lol.
24) I didn’t post this on Instagram but I just found this too cute not to share! I was taking my usual outfit photos in front of the mirror when he decided to photobomb me. :D
Pink and princess-y look while I still can. Dress is something I got in Korea a long time ago. Maybe I should schedule a trip to Seoul again this year…
25) He treated me to Wafu in Greenhills for my birthday lunch. So. Freaking. Good. I can eat Japanese food everyday.
26) Then we spent most of the night with the rest of my family at Mom and Tina’s. First time to treat all of them for my birthday instead of the usual. For the past 24 years it has always been my parents paying for everything but I wanted to give back by treating them out for dinner for once. Made me feel like an adult! :D
27) My dad surprised me with cake (which I ended up paying for also, lol) with a color scheme and design that matched the color of my top and the curls on my hair! 8D
28) Light make-up and shiny gold accents.
'Til next time! I'll probably do a separate entry for my December Instagram photos. Follow me @tgosingtian for live updates!
1) OPI Thanks A Windmillion (current nails)
2) Beauty & Butter Art Pro Nail machine printed nails (I chose the mode-inspired design of course!)
3) Chanel Pearl Drop and Topshop dark red polish from their A/W 11 collection
4) Mixing metals! Cutex and Topshop nail polish
5) OPI Don’t Pretzel My Buttons
6) Topshop AW11 pale green base with Topshop SS11 metallic green diagonal tips (used tape!)
7) Beauty & Butter gel nail art that I kept throughout my Indonesia trip last November
8) Beauty & Butter blue-violet polish with tiny stones
9) Nail polish that my friend Tracy gave me from the US
10) ORLY GelFX Prisma Gloss SIlver base with White Tips glitter top coat which I kept throughout my Hong Kong trip last October
11) Zoya Kristen (which is such a perfect shade of blue!)
12) Etude House PK014 and Tony Moly PP04! Pastel goodness!
13) Nail Bistro's early Christmas gift! ORLY Crawford's Wine
I change my nail polish faster than the weather!
So what’s the reason behind all these erratic nail color changes? One of my ultimate pet peeves is chipped nail polish, and I absolutely cannot stand looking at nail polish that have already chipped but strangely haven’t been completely removed by nail polish remover. Seriously, if I had all the time in the world, I’d bring nail polish remover with me everywhere and remove people’s chipped nail polish myself! Get it together, girls. It just looks… well, unkempt and unclassy. *cringe* If you can’t keep up with proper nail care, just opt for no polish at all. Personally, I *have to* remove my nail polish at the first sight of imperfection, especially if I had my nails done professionally and don’t have the color used in my own household. Talk about obsessive-compulsiveness! I admit I can get quite clumsy at times, so you can just imagine how fast my nail polish chips… but this is why I absolutely *love* gel polish once in a while. I’m still crossing my fingers for Japanese hard gels to be available here though. That would be such a dream. T_T
Before anything else, I apologize for all the mirror shots!
Last photo I took of myself before I went blonde.
Finally gave in to bleaching my hair after years of contemplation. I’m sure, at one point in time, if you’ve seen me in person or have spent a lot of time with me outside the Internet, we’ve already had some sort of “Gosh, your hair is so light!” + “Oh yeah? Thanks, but it’s not light enough for me!” conversation.
I have a collection of blonde wigs in different lengths to temporarily satisfy my frustrations, but nothing beats having actual blonde hair!
I was luckily born with naturally straight, fine, thick-ish Asian-black hair (My mom has fine, straight hair while my dad has the typical thick, straight Chinese hair). I managed to put up with it until highschool, but I totes had a dyeing spree once I reached college. I gradually lightened my hair through the years without bleaching, mostly because I was so afraid of the damage bleaching entailed. I’ve always had a fascination with light hair ever since I could remember, really. My chronic bitch face paired with my natural black hair never meshed well together (had that “snob appeal” formula down pat), and I found it way more interesting to experiment with make-up and different hairstyles with lighter hair.
Throughout college I almost never took care of my then-super-long hair properly - I would only use random brands to wash and condition my hair, and I would curl and style it without heat-protecting products. This went on until early this year… until I decided to cut 5 inches off my hair all at once. The ends of my hair looked so damaged that I couldn’t go out without having to curl them (thus, damaging my hair even more) or putting my hair up in a bun to hide the ends.
I guess hair care was something I took for granted, because when I still had virgin hair, I never had to comb or condition so often because my hair was so naturally healthy and dead-straight. Sadly, it took a toll on my hair in the long run. :(
After cutting my hair last May, I became keen on starting anew. I took care of my hair obsessively by using the right products and having regular hair treatments. Even if my hair dye was relatively lighter than my college color, my hair has never been healthier in years.
Perfect time to go blonde, I thought. And so I finally went for it!
Can’t believe I subjected my hair to this purple gunk you see right here. :) Funny that the bleach didn’t sting my scalp at all! And to think I was deathly afraid moments before they applied it to my hair. They were saying that it was good that I had years of dye experience before subjecting myself to bleach because during the whole process, I didn’t seem too surprised with the smell and the sensation of it all.
What a sight! Five people were working on my hair simultaneously to get an even color. They advised against bleaching your own hair, because they said it would be immensely risky (harsh chemicals and all) and some parts of your hair might end up lighter than the others depending on the time of application. But then again, sometimes that’s just what some people exactly want.
After washing the bleach off, I ended up with this:
Even if I know a lot of people settle for this kind of blonde, I found it so awkward on me. Nice color for Halloween though. I think I could go as Sailor Moon with this yellow.
BRB, off to find a sailor outfit.
And so they proceeded with applying tone-on-tone coloration to kill the intense yellow. I didn’t want to subject my hair to so many things at once so I’ll probably have to go to the salon again for a permanent hair dye once the toner washes off.
My hair looked a little green for a while, but I’m happy I ended up with something a little less intense:
Me with the lovely people at Indigo Salon which you can find along Temple Drive, near White Plains and Corinthian Hills. Jun Sollano (second from left) has been cutting and dyeing my hair since 2009.
Going blonde is such a life changer, especially now that I can’t apply make-up the same way as before. I could seriously go out with no make-up at all with darker hair, but I don’t know if I could still do that now without looking freakishly washed out. It’s fun in other ways though, like blue and gray contact lenses and baby pink make-up suit me better now!
To give you an idea, the box on the left is the toner that they used to make my hair shinier and less yellow. The green bottles are my new purchases to maintain my current color. Pureology is pretty much a miracle for people with dyed hair. <3
Inspirations for going blonde: Japanese gals Tsubasa Masuwaka, Chinatsu Wakatsuki, Nanase Kubo and K-pop idols CL from 2NE1, Nana from After School and GorJessica from SNSD. <3 (Not in collage: Hyuna from 4minute, Sunny and Hyoyeon from SNSD, Gyuri from Kara, Hyosung and Zinger from Secret, Nana Suzuki, Kana Nishino, Koda Kumi)