I get a ton of comments on my Instagram asking what photo-editing apps I use, and while I try my best to reply to each one, I think it’s better if I just make a proper entry about it. Don’t you think so too? My old post is so outdated, I don’t even use those apps anymore!
If you’re new to this blog and have no idea what I’m talking about, I created an iPhoneography post early 2012 enumerating the apps that I use for the pictures I post on Instagram. Fast-forward 1 1/2 years later, and you’ll be surprised how technology has evolved so much in such a short span of time! Better apps have come out, much to my delight.
The first one that I recommend is Camera360, though I’m pretty sure most people already have it as it’s very popular, and the MagicSkin filters do wonders for selfie junkies.
Other personal faves from the selection of effects include the Sketch filter, LightColor and Retro color filters. HelloCamera app can more or less do the same things too.
The second one that I recommend is PhotoWonder, which is a quick way to prettify yourself with its magical Beautify features. So magical that you may end up not looking like yourself at all if you abuse the editing options (see exaggerated example below, lol). Some of the filters are really out-of-this-world (Breast enlargement, anyone?), and I only use the Skin filter and Blemish Fix if I feel like cheating a bit. But generally Camera360 MagicSkin Natural or Glossy filter does the job already, so this is the option to go for if you feel like your face needs a lift.
The third app that I recommend is Afterlight, which is God’s gift to photographers looking for the perfect editing app. This isn’t a free app though, but I assure you it is worth every cent. I used to be so amazed by VSCO before Afterlight came out, but Afterlight is on a totally different level. What I like about it most is that you layer filters and the opacity of each action you make. If you’re a fan of Photoshop layers like me, you’d love this! As for what exact filters I use, it’s a mix of different ones depending on my mood. Sometimes I go crazy and do something along the lines of 20% Atlas, 20% Sage, 15% Nico, 10% Idaho, 5% Dallas, 5% Whim, +5 Saturation, +10 Temperature. Now, this is just random word vomit, so don’t count on the previous sentence to make your photos look good, lol. Anyhow, it is also the app that I use to make my circle photos.
Fourth app recommendation is Landcam, which I’ve only bought recently so I haven’t taken a lot of pictures with it yet. However, I find myself slowly falling in love with it and its filters! If you ask me, Landcam is like a better version of VSCO, though I know VSCO has a loyal fanbase of its own.
Landcam has a double exposure feature which is something that other apps don’t have. But my favorite feature about it are tastefully-made fonts, textures, sketches and light leaks.
Ever wondered what to do with pictures that just look better when they’re not square-cropped? If you’ve been following my IG (@tgosingtian), you might’ve already noticed how my style of fitting vertical ootds into an Instagram-ready square. I’ve been using the Squaready app! What’s nice about it is that you can choose the color of the background (as other apps are mostly limited to black and white) and you have the option to push the photo off-center.
The next app I recommend is Cameran, by Ninagawa Mika, one of my photography idols. She is known for elaborate details, intricate sets, and high saturation. I love what she did with Helter Skelter (her manga-based movie starring Sawajiri Erika) and of course, AKB48’s Heavy Rotation music video!
I particularly adore this “Shower” filter with the rose petals and light bokeh.
And last but not the least, I recommend LINE Cam for the filters and the unique stamps. I love these face stamps that you can add to your food/product shots to make them look instantly cute! LINE Cam also has some adorable frames that are quite reminiscent of Purikura borders so this app is a must for those who have a penchant all things kawaii!
I hope this updated app post helps! As I said before, different strokes for different folks, and I’m sure there are better photography and editing applications out there. But these are the ones that work best for me and my type of aesthetics. Good luck experimenting with these apps! Feel free to comment below if you have any more recommendations similar to these.
There was a time when I was so addicted to this app, thanks to Crissey, master of all things cute. It was pure madness. I couldn’t sleep because of it. BUY ALL THE CUTE FURNITURE.
Early on, I knew I wanted to shy away from all the pink stuff, because I wanted a more realistic-looking house (This app is serious business - it’s not even funny). I even created a space that looks just like the studio outside my room, that little space where I take my indoor outfit photos.
A few weeks (or has it already been months?) have passed since I started this and I admit I don’t really have much to do anymore, since I’m already pretty contented with how I designed it. And well, I don’t have a lot of gems to spare at this point, lol. T_T
Anyhow, add me up! You can search for Tricia Gosingtian on LINE Play. Sometimes I give hearts back in gratitude! <3
1) First dibs! Got these ob for shu uemura products at the intimate event they held to launch these adorable limited edition goodies.
3) Macarons at Bar Dolci.
4) Wrong Ramen at Burgos Circle, The Fort.
5) 8 scoops of this Chocolate Earthquake from Swensen’s. Shared this with my ice-cream loving friends, and finished this bowl in 5 minutes.
6) Fuss-free all-black outfit on a busy errands day! Black oversized top and leggings from Topshop.
7) One of my ESPRIT looks!
8) Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen at the new Shangri-la East Wing.
9) Finally cut my hair short! My hair was too damaged that I couldn’t go out without curling it (and further damaging it in the process) or hiding the damaged parts in a bun. Ugh. At one point, I couldn’t comb through the ends anymore so I had no choice but to cut it all off. Coincidentally, I was obsessing over long bobs for so long (thus the fluffy wig in my outfit photos last month) that the 7 or so inch cut didn’t hurt too bad.
I’m currently a new and loyal customer at Park Jun’s in Glorietta! A nice Korean girl named Lena cuts and colors my hair now. This is where I also buy my new MUCOTA (Japanese brand) shampoo, conditioner and hair treatment. So far it’s been wonderful in reviving my close-to-dying hair.
How did I achieve this hair length? I had saved photos of my girl crush Olivia Palermo’s long bob (or “lob”) on my phone! Showed it to Lena and she got it instantly. I was so happy. It was all so cathartic too.
As of this writing, it’s about 1 1/2 inches shorter, thanks to Rumiringo and Rui Kotobuki inspiration <3
10) With my brother’s girlfriend Farrah who is just the cutest girl ever! <3
11) At the Lacoste L!ve event with David and Lissa. DAVID’S JACKET, I COVET.
12) Reunited and it feels so good. Not an entirely new combination of bloggers, if you’ve been following my blog for a while now. Comment if this group looks familiar :)
13) Wearing my book print top and jelly bag from Lacoste L!ve.
14) Chanel Fatal Rouge polish thanks to I Do Nails and Chapi Green lenses from Japanese Candy. I’m always wearing pink blush and pink lipstick now. I can’t remember the last time I opted for coral or red…
15) With Kana Odawara-Evangelista (our translator), Yoshio Koiwai, Youhei Harada, Shudai Shiota, Daisuke Hashimoto, Katsuya Inagaki and Yuuga Suzuki! HAKUHODO (with TNC, Inc.) conducted an interview about lifestyle and trends among young people, and in my case, they focused more on fashion, cosmetics, travels, and the other things that I write here on my blog!
We also talked about my previous trips to Japan, and how I found out about Japanese culture and fashion. One of them ended up singing the first line to L’arc’s The Fourth Avenue Cafe when I mentioned how my older brothers have been fans for as long as I can remember.
16) Thanks to @crownedvelvet and @quirky_minds (on IG) for these iPhone cases!
17) US Ribeye and oyster teppanyaki at Akira in the new Shangri-la East Wing! Shang has always been my favorite mall ever since I was a kid, and my family often goes there for dinner or shopping. Most of the time I would bump into Crissey as well because it’s also her family’s favorite hangout!
18) Picked this baby girl up from a trusted labrador breeder outside Manila. Welcome to the Gosingtian family, baby Bailey! We had to think of a name that started with the letter B as Bailey’s parents’ names also started with the same letter. My brother’s initial suggestion was to name her Bog. Bog the dog, lol. I was like, “No way! It’s totally not a cute girl name!” :( (edit: or even a name fit for anyone or anything that is as cute as this)
So I named our first family dog Bailey. Our driver called her Billy Joe when he first thought it was a boy. Then he changed it to Billie Jean when he found out it was a girl, hahaha
Everyone’s attention is now focused on her. <3
19) Macarons at Bizu!
20) And yet another heavy dinner at Borough. Where I order the same thing. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Darn it, Brooklyn Omelette. Why do you have to be so good? My cholesterol is not pleased.
21) Just one of those lazy, minimal make-up days…
22) ONIONS. ONIONS EVERYWHERE! Had dinner with the family at Lugang in Greenhills. My dad’s choice, of course! Chinese cuisine is my least favorite but…
23) …xiao long bao is my only exception. <3
24) I keep doing this pose now. Sad attempt to show off my current nail colors and arm/finger candy at the same time, heehee
25) Bailey after one week with us. My mom has been so patient and loving with her, which I think can buy me and my siblings some time before she starts talking about grandchildren.
Of course, most of Bailey’s stuff are pink. Even her first water bowl was a cute heart-shaped pink one that she absolutely loved playing with. And you know how all labradors love water… (we eventually got her one of those water bottle dispenser things that you attach to her crate so it’s easier and a lot less messy)
26) Ended the month of March with a giant plate of sashimi. <3
1) Trissey (Tricia + Crissey) bonding after so long! We spent almost a whole day together - it was loads of fun, especially with the kind of silliness that is always expected from our duo. <3
2) Pat from Apartment 8 treated us to cake in the middle of shooting. Of course, with something as cute as this, you’d expect us to take photos and Instagram first before digging in!
3) Valentines-themed cupcakes at Sonja’s in Serendra! Not what I ordered (since my favorite from them is their Red Velvet) but too cute not to Instagram, lol.
4) Spent a lazy afternoon in Starbucks reading this book. Little did I know that my angkong (grandfather) would pass away the next day. It’s the first time I’m explicitly talking about it but I pretty much spent most of my February afternoons and evenings at the hospital and at his wake (even on Valentines Day), thus the lessened activity on my blog during this month. He was in and out of the hospital for heart-related problems most of 2012 as well.
As of this writing, it’s been exactly 49 days since his burial. We actually just came from the cemetery to visit him again and pay our respects. He’s in a better place now. <3
5) Quick lunch at Yabu!
6) Valentines-themed shoot with James and Ericka!
7) Heart-shaped donuts at Krispy Kreme. A ton of people commented on my IG saying that they look like heart-shaped ground meat, lol.
8) MEXX outing with blogger friends! With Lissa, Laureen and David.
9) Chocolate-covered strawberries for Valentines thanks to Pond’s!
10) Received pretty flowers from Krissy and Ericka <3
11) Flowers for my angkong, 3 days after the burial. In his mausoleum — “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness.”
12) Sweet pink hair (or wig) and make.
14) Little things! Mini Canon USB from @osgenshop on IG and mini Celine ear plug from @crownedvelvet on IG. Yes, that’s a page of ViVi with Sara Mary on it!
15) Wore this to the Young Market Masters Awards (YMMA). Simple black shift dress from Mango and bag from Forever 21.
16) Strawberry mousse!
17) Pink and white outfit in preparation for spring/summer.
18) Wearing the very popular Apartment 8 peekaboo shoulder top! So happy it got wonderful reviews from people after I wore it, as all their stocks were sold out twice, and people still want it to this day! <3
19) Suddenly, dark hair after a disaster at my previous salon! It has since then faded to my current hair color which is still a little messy, but at least I already cut all the damaged parts off!
Wearing Orly Frisky nail polish from @polishedinthecity on IG.
20) Alice in Wonderland vibes at the ob for shu uemura event at SoFA! Macarons everywhere!
21) Blue top and necklace from Forever 21, bag from Moussy (Japan), and inset skirt leggings from Yesstyle. My hair was pretty much fried at this point…
22) Met up with my best friends at The Old Spaghetti House and got this cheesy penne pasta. NOM.
23) Second time to see Crissey! <3 We were invited to a web show called Live, Love, Lolz by Tita K! But first we had dinner together, and spent the rest of our time camwhoring in a small bathroom, lol.
1) Coffee and work date with my good friend Tracy at the Caffe Bene in Eastwood. We both cannot work at our own homes because we end up being super unproductive, so we schedule dates at our favorite coffee places to motivate each other to not slack off!
2) As I uploaded these pictures for this post, I realized that I took a lot of these mirror shots last month! Some of the outfits might seem familiar from Lookbook.
3) You’ll see this stripey H&M top twice in this post.
4) What I wore to my cousin’s garden wedding at Tagaytay. Found this long dress on sale at Mango. Borrowed the clutch from my mom who I went shopping with at Miss Selfridge last Christmas.
5) One of the most effective ways to keep yourself in check is to wirte in a gratitude journal. Got this particular one at kikki.K in Singapore last year. Even if I forget to write here sometimes, I make sure that I dedicate a few minutes every day to reflect on the things I should be grateful for on my own.
6) Sukiyaki night with le boyfriend! We love to eat out, and we both love to take photos of our food. Follow him on IG: @rgabunada
7) Wearing jeans! *gasp*
8) Sashimi platter! NOM
9) One of my MOFW Fukuoka posts. Black and white is such a huge trend right now, it seems. I feel like I’m having an extended Christmas because most of my closet has always been filled with these two colors and you can see them everywhere in the mall.
10) Obligatory Bayo dressing room post. Ended up getting the pink/cream version of this top for my Bayo outfit post last January. Now that I think about it, I should’ve gotten the mint one too!
11) Outfit for a meeting. EMODA top, Just G jacket.
12) Outfit for dinner with my family at High Street Central. Zara top, dazzlin skirt.
13) RG and I have been officially together for 2 years last January 23rd! He sent me flowers first thing in the morning. How sweet. <3
14) Had our anniversary lunch at Premio The Fort, where I had this amazing olive oil poached salmon. I finished the whole thing. NOM
15) Finally got an Instax Mini too, thanks to him. He couldn’t find plain border film so he ended up buying whatever was available - this interesting rainbow gradient film that apparently so many people on IG like! I’d still prefer plain ones though. :D
16) Hiroshima Oyster set at Yabu! Not as big as the real oysters in Hiroshima (which I was fortunate enough to try last December), but still super good! They stuffed a lot of small oysters inside. NOM
17) Dyed my hair lighter last month.
Though as of this writing, my hair is about 3 inches shorter. Had to let go of all the damaged parts after so long. I had to curl my hair every time I wanted to make it look decent. So tedious! To think my hair color is high maintenance enough.
Currently looking for a new Japanese or Korean salon to do my next hair color! I’ve been going to the same one for the past 5 years that I think its time to give other salons a chance.
18) Lastly, this outfit! Can’t wear red for a few weeks/months now because of some Chinese traditions I have to follow, so we’ll finally see less of this color for now…